This recipe works well as both a cupcake recipe, and a full cake. I have always loved carrot cake, but being a cream cheese frosting it has taken time to make this treat gluten free, refined sugar free and refined vegetable oil free! However, I have cracked it – and here is my recipe 🙂
Makes 18 cupcakes (or a sandwich cake)
- 225g Self raising gluten free flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 Eggs
- 125g Unrefined brown sugar
- 130g Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Apple (an eating one such as Jazz or Braeburn)
- 200g Carrots
- 25g Unsalted butter
- 60g Cream cheese
- 175g Unrefined icing sugar (e.g. Billington’s Golden Icing Sugar)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Walnuts to decorate
- Preheat oven 180 degrees fan.
- Grease with olive oil the cake tin, and line the bottom with grease proof paper and dust the sides with flour (or line a muffin tin with muffin cases).
- Melt the butter and cream with the sugar, once smooth beat the eggs into the mixture (make sure the butter is cool after melting before adding the eggs).
- Stir in the flour and spices.
- Remove the core of the apple, then peal and grate the apple and carrots.
- Add the crated carrot and apple to the mixture.
- Stir through.
- Pour into the cake tins, or muffin cases.
- Bake for 30 minutes (or until a skewer can be removed clean from the middle).
- Leave to cool.
- Whilst cooling make the icing. Melt the butter and add this to the icing sugar, whisk in the cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Once the cake/ or cupcakes are cool ice.
- Decorate with walnuts.